Saturday, July 14, 2012

A DAY!


Lela and I after our hike to the top

Kierra caught a butterfly in her hat.

A few of our girls



Cam's return home from the fire

Taylor named him" Mary Poppin's Chimney Guy"

Today I got to take some of my Young Women on their hike to certify for girls' camp.  My counselor Lela, came with me and we were in charge of the 1st year girls.  They are hilarious and entertained us the whole way up.  We hiked 3 miles and were awfully sweaty by the time we were done.  It felt so good.   I forget about many beautiful areas of Pocatello there are, especially in the mountains; and we're only minutes from it. Sheri was so sweet to take the kiddos while Cam went to help with our ward on the fire clean up.  They had 19 different stakes come help, which was about 2,000 men. We got to drive by on our way up to our hike and it was incredible to see them all cutting down burned up trees and hauling them away. Cam was COVERED in ash and is very sore. He worked so hard. I noticed a sign on the side of the road that said, "our homes and possessions are gone, but our treasures await in heaven."  There was over 66 houses burned to the ground and animals that were killed.  It was something our city will never forget, but we all pulled together and we'll help rebuild what was lost!  

1 comment:

Jill said...

yay for girls camp!! Emily leaves next week. today, she told me, "mom, the girls were telling me about some of the jokes people play, like saran wrap on the toilet seats, isn't that awful?" and then I told her I had done that, and she was shocked!! :) so many fun memories. and those fires were scary! my grandma and aunt janel's houses were on one of those hills, it just barely missed them but they have a lot of smoke damage.